By: Robert Serreyn
Question? is 2 Peter 2:20-22 a proof text that a christian can lose their salvation as some preachers suggest?
(2 Peter 2:20-22): (20) For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
(21) For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
(22) But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
If a person’s salvation CAN BE lost than it has to be BY WORKS, and if it is by works than IT IS NOT by grace and if not BY GRACE than it is a FALSE GOSPEL of Satan & Men.
The Bible states in the following verses:
(Romans 11:6) And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
(Galatians 1:8,9): (8) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. (9) As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
2 Peter 2:20-22 is speaking of the FALSE TEACHERS,& PASTORS of Satan and their converts WHO they have DECEIVED.
compares these false teachers, and pastors as “WELLS WITHOUT WATER”, Just as a dry well HAS NO WATER to drink the same is true for these false teachers and pastors they are liars(WELLS) with NO TRUTH(WITHOUT WATER) in Them, Then it goes on to state that their eternal destiny will be HELL(Mist Of Darkness).
explains their activities and how they go about to deceive their converts through LIES, Desires of the flesh, and the promise of Materialism ect. – 1 John 2:16
explains that those false teachers and pastors even though they PREACH liberty(salvation) through those things in V18, THEY themselves are CORRUPTED through their false teachings right along with their converts
continues and explains that these converts,false teachers/pastors even though they TRY TO APPEAR as christians by their OUTWARD APPEARANCE and MANNERISM but they DENY that salvation is ONLY THROUGH Jesus Christ – John 14:6, Acts 4:12.
starts out with the fact that IT WOULD HAVE been better if these False Teachers/Pastors and converts DID NOT know the truth of the gospel BECAUSE after they KNEW (after they have known, IE – Have been told the true gospel…Eph.2:8,9) that salvation(Way Of Righteousness) is ONLY THROUGH Jesus Christ- Ephesians 1:7, & 13, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. They denied the gospel and now will suffer a GREATER PUNISHMENT in hell for their denial of the truth:
(Matthew 10:6-15) But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(7) And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
(8) Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
(9) Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,
(10) Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.
(11) And into whatsoever city or town ye shall enter, enquirer who in it is worthy; and there abide till ye go thence.
(12) And when ye come into an house, salute it.
(13) And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.
(14) And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.
(15) Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
(Revelation 20:11-15) And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
(12) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
(13) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
(14) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
(15) And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Concludes that even though they cleaned up their life, and Looked, and Acted like a christian and fooled many into thinking they were saved(which INCLUDES ALL cult religions and ANY CHURCH that preaches a FALSE GOSPEL) but they were NOT SAVED at all and continued BY CHOICE to BELIEVE in the FALSE DOCTRINES and GOSPEL they had embraced (it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire). -(Matthew 13:15, Acts 28:27)
The MOST IMPORTANT thing to know IS Jesus Christ as savior, just simply believe that Jesus Christ went to the cross and DIED and shed his blood, was BURIED and three days later RESURRECTED from the dead to pay for your sins.
A. Christ DIED for you – Romans 5:8
B. Christ PAID your sins in full – 2 Corinthians 5:21,1 Peter 2:24
C. BELIEVE (Trust In Completely) in Christ ALONE as the complete payment of sin for salvation – John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Ephesians 2:8,9
“For the wages(payment) of sin is death (eternal torment in hell & the lake of fire); but the GIFT of God is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord”. Romans 6:23
IT IS THAT SIMPLE – THE GOSPEL TRUTH