By: Robert Serreyn
Question? Who are the Ten Virgins, and what is the oil in Matthew Chp. 25?
(Matthew 25:1 – 12) Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. (2) And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. (3) They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: (4) But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
(5) While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. (6) And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. (7) Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. (8) And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. (9) But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. (10) And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. (11) Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. (12) But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
The whole parable is about two groups of people that God sees the Saved and the Lost.
V2 and 3 – The Five FOOLISH Virgins = the Lost.
V2 and 4 – The five WISE Virgins = The Saved .
– The oil = Holy Spirit.
– The Bridegroom = The Lord Jesus Christ
– The Lamp = The Word of God and the Gospel
(Psa 119:105) Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
The LiGHT of God’s Word ILLUMINATES OUR MIND to the Glorious Truths found in the Word of God AFTER we believe THE GOSPEL.
The Five LOST (foolish) Virgins:
– They WERE NOT prepared to meet the Bridegroom (Jesus Christ).
– They DID NOT believe the Word Of God and The Gospel (The Lamp)
– They DID NOT have the Holy Spirit(Oil). = Salvation
(1Corinthians 2:14) But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
The Bible says:
(John 10:1) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
(Matthew 25:11,12) Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. (12) But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
(Matthew 7:22, 23) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? (23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
The Five SAVED (wise) Virgins:
– They WERE PREPARED to meet the Bridegroom (Jesus Christ).
– They DID BELIEVE the Word of God and The Gospel (The Lamp).
– They HAD the Holy Spirit (Oil). = Salvation
The Bible says:
(1Corinthians 1:18) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
(Romans 1:16) For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
(Matthew 7:14) Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
VERY FEW will as far as the populace is concerned will ever trust alone in Christ Jesus Death, Burial, and Resurrection as the complete payment for their sins and just like the Five FOOLISH Virgins they think that they can buy or do something to get their way into heaven.
– The Five FOOLISH (Lost) Virgins DID NOT HEED to God’s Word
– They were NOT ACCEPTED by the Bridegroom (Jesus Christ)
– They TRIED to obtain the Holy Spirit (Oil) by their OWN METHODS.
(2Corinthians 4:4) In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
– The Five WISE (Saved) Virgins HEEDED to God’s Word
– They WERE ACCEPTED by the Bridegroom (Jesus Christ)
– They HAD the Holy Spirit (Oil) BECAUSE they had placed their Trust Alone In Christ by BELIEVING the Gospel.
The MOST IMPORTANT thing to know IS Jesus Christ as savior, just simply believe that Jesus Christ went to the cross and DIED and shed his blood, was BURIED and three days later RESURRECTED from the dead to pay for your sins.
-Christ DIED for you – Romans 5:8
-Christ PAID your sins in full – 2 Corinthians 5:21,1 Peter 2:24
-BELIEVE (Trust In Completely) in Christ ALONE as the complete payment of sin for salvation – John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Ephesians 2:8,9
“For the wages(payment) of sin is death (eternal torment in hell); but the GIFT(salvation) of God is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord”. Romans 6:23
IT IS THAT SIMPLE – THE GOSPEL TRUTH