By: Robert Serreyn
Question? In Exodus 15:23 – 25, How could a tree make water sweet?
Exodus 15:23-25 And when they came to Marah, they could not drink of the waters of Marah, for they were bitter: therefore the name of it was called Marah. (24) And the people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink? (25) And he cried unto the LORD; and the LORD shewed him a tree, which when he had cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet: there he made for them a statute and an ordinance, and there he proved them.
To help answer this let me put it in this way, The one application I believe that CAN BE made to V23 and V25 is this…
– V23 The Undrinkable Bitter Water = Our Unrighteousness. Every person IS UNPERFECT (unrighteous) in the Eyes of the Lord.
Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one.
– V25- The Tree = The Cross of Christ.
1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
– The casting of the tree into the water = The Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Christ.
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; (2) By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. (3) For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; (4) And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.
– The water being made sweet = The Righteousness a person RECIEVES the moment they PLACE their Trust (believes) Alone in Christ as the ONLY PAYMENT for all their sins.
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
– The Statute and Ordinance = The Authority a believer has from the Word of God that they have evelasting life.
1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.
Just to recap. the above stated.
– The Tree = The Cross of Christ.
– The Bitter Waters = Our Unrighteousness.
– The Tree cast into the water = Christ payment for all sin.
– The Sweet Water = The Perfection (Righteousness) that a person receives upon Faith in the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
– The Statute and Ordinance = The Authority the person has from the Word of God that they have everlasting life.
The MOST IMPORTANT thing to know IS Jesus Christ as savior, just simply believe that Jesus Christ went to the cross and DIED and shed his blood, was BURIED and three days later RESURRECTED from the dead to pay for your sins. The moment that you do YOU HAVE (at that second and forever) Everlasting Life which WILL NEVER be taken away no matter what.
-Christ DIED for you – Romans 5:8
-Christ PAID your sins in full – 2 Corinthians 5:21,1 Peter 2:24
-BELIEVE (Trust In Completely) in Christ ALONE as the complete payment of sin for salvation – John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Ephesians 2:8,9
“For the wages(payment) of sin is death (eternal torment in hell); but the GIFT(salvation) of God is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord”. Romans 6:23
IT IS THAT SIMPLE – THE GOSPEL TRUTH