By: Robert Serreyn
Question? Is there anyway you could find out what the Amish believe?
From what I could find out, here is what all Amish generally believe…
– Salvation is based on Faith, plus Works, plus Grace.
In other words You must believe, then add your human efforts, in addition to receiving God’s Grace.
This is a FALSE gospel message, the Bible states in Ephesians 2:8, & 9…
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.
and also in…
Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
What the Bible is PLAINLY SAYING is that… “You CANNOT have it both ways, It is either “By Grace Alone” or “By Works” NOT the combination thereof.
– Water Baptism is BY pouring or sprinkling.
Baptism is BY IMMERSION only, This is the ONLY BAPTISM that represents the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
– Soul Sleeping. The Amish believe that they lay in the grave until the Lord resurrects them.
This is the exact same FALSE DOCTRINE that is also taught by the Seventh Day Adventist church and Jehovah’s Wittness.
The Bible MAKES CLEAR that the person WHO HAS Trusted Christ and his payment alone for their sins WILL upon death be “Absent from the body and Present with the Lord”. The Bible says…
2 Corinthians 5:6, 8 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (8) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
– Pastors are Chosen, NOT called. This is known as “THE UNWILLING CLERGY”. In every Amish community a Pastor IS CHOSEN from among its members by casting lots, this is considered a GRIEVOUS and really a “Unwanted Appointed Position”.
The Bible says that the Pastor MUST BE a “Willing Servant” one that is called of the Lord.
1 Peter 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint (force or being choosen), but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind.
One has to, “Take Into Account” that this CHOSEN member (Pastor/Clergy/Minister – whatever they are revered as) ARE most likely Unlearned and Unschooled in the scriptures (with the exception of what they have been taught) which makes for a VERY dangereously rich enviroment (spiritually speaking) for false teaching.
In Acts 1:26 the Apostles AFTER the death of Judas Iscariot instead of waiting on the Lord to choose the new Apostle the Eleven Apostles CAST LOTS and chose for themselves a man named Matthias, He is NEVER mentioned anywhere else in scripture again, therefore indicating that he WAS NOT the Lord’s choice, the Lord CALLED Paul instead to be the next Apostle.
And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.
Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)
Further the Bible states in 1 Timothy 3:2 that the Pastor MUST be able to teach the Word of God, and as 1 Peter 5:2 as well states… MUST BE of a “Ready Mind” and that is done through Reading, Studying, and in most cases (not a absolute, but helpful) “Being Schooled” in the scriptures.
1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach.
– Rumspringa – This is a practice among most Amish where there is “Period of Time” where their youth are allowed to go out and “Experience the World” to determine if they REALLY WANT to live and devote their life in accordance to the Amish religion and lifestyle or not.
In my opinion, this is a DANGEROUS and Irresponsible practice that Encourages “the Sowing of ones wild oats”, to wet ones appetite if you may, “For The Pleasure Of” and the go ahead “To live in Sin”.
The Bible states…
1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
– No Evangelism – The Amish DO NOT actively try to lead or encourage anyone (outside of their communes and hosehold) to their faith, which is probably a good thing, for they have a FALSE GOSPEL.
The Bible says… Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
– Separation from the World. The Amish have a EXTREME and unbiblical INTERPRETATION of Romans 12:2 and this goes in connection with their reason for No Evangelism. This is why they are the way they are INCLUDING the reason for their avoidance of the use of Modern Technology, and the way they dress.
– No Musical instruments. The Amish just like some Church of Christ churches do not believe in the use of musical instruments in church. Although this is NOT a major point, Their claim is, that there is no command from God in the New Testament for the use of intruments, But just like all the other seven points mentioned above, the Bible tells us something different.
Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Psalms 150:3-5 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. (4) Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. (5) Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
The Amish to their credit are a HARD WORKING group of people, WHO try to live a simple YET fulfilling life (although mis – guided and sadly deceived) that pleases God.
The Amish are a sincere BUT LOST people that have a False religion, and a False Gospel – 2 Timothy 3:5, WHO NEED to Trust Jesus Christ and his payment alone for their sins.
Having a form of godliness (religious), but denying the power thereof (unsaved, not trusting alone the finished work of Christ on the cross as payment for sin): from such turn away.
The MOST IMPORTANT thing to know IS Jesus Christ as savior, just simply believe that Jesus Christ went to the cross and DIED and shed his blood, was BURIED and three days later RESURRECTED from the dead to pay for your sins.
The moment that you do YOU HAVE (at that second and forever) Everlasting Life which WILL NEVER be taken away no matter what.
-Christ DIED for you – Romans 5:8
-Christ PAID your sins in full – 2 Corinthians 5:21,1 Peter 2:24
-BELIEVE (Trust In Completely) in Christ ALONE as the complete payment of sin for salvation – John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Ephesians 2:8,9
“For the wages(payment) of sin is death (eternal torment in hell); but the GIFT(salvation) of God is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord”. Romans 6:23
IT IS THAT SIMPLE – THE GOSPEL TRUTH