By: Robert Serreyn
Question? I was on Facebook and there was a man teaching that after you are saved you do not have to confess your sins because you are always in fellowship with the Lord, i am a new christian and i am confused?
What you described is called Hyper Grace Theology. This is ANOTHER one of Satan’s Counterfeits that has many problems when compared to the Bible.
One of the FALSE TEACHINGS is that 1 John 1:9 is not written to christians for restoration of fellowship to the Lord.
A Second FALSE TEACHING is that 1 John 1:9 is written to believers to save unbelievers.
Those that teach Hyper Grace Theology believe that since all your Past, Present, and Future sins have been paid, there is no need to confess to the Lord for any sins that a christian may commit AFTER salvation, This is NOT SO.
In 1 John Chapter 1 starting in Verse 6 – 9 take Notice, that it says “WE”
(6) If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
(7) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
(8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
(9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
We is a term used for christian or believer, and these 5 verses explain that if WE (the christian) claim to be in FELLOWSHIP with the Lord but have UNCONFESSED KNOWN SINS in our life then we:
2. Do not have the truth
3. Deceive ourselves
4. Make God a Liar
BUT IF WE CONFESS any know sins then Verse 9 tells us that the Lord will FORGIVE US.
The Problem with those that teach Hyper Grace Theology is that they WILLFULLY DISREGARD what the Word of God says about the OLD NATURE that every person is born with.
God NEVER removes the old sin nature from any person that TRUST Jesus Christ ALONE as savior, but gives them a new nature(Holy Spirit)- Ephesians 1:13
Galatians 5:17 explains the battle between the the Old and New Nature, and the Apostle Paul KNEW this Battle Well and he explains in:
(15) For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
(16) If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
(17) Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
(18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
(19) For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
(20) Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
The Apostle Paul concludes in Verse 20 as to WHY!!!
Being that Christians STILL HAVE the old nature WE SIN, and that sin has to be dealt with in one of two ways
1. Confessing it to the Lord – 1 John 1:9, Proverbs 28:13, James 5:13(a)
2. By the corrective hand of God – Hebrews 12:5, 1 John 5:17, Proverbs 3:11
God sees from eternity past to eternity future and he considers ALL our sins Past, Present, and Future COMPLETELY PAID IN FULL, but he will not ALLOW us to live a life of sin.
(Proverbs 28:13) He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.
The Church of Cornith received the corrective hand of God for their sinful ways and some became sick and others died BECAUSE of their disobedience – 1 Corinthians 11-26-32.
Hebrews 12:5 tells us that God will take CORRECTIVE ACTION of our sins if we don’t and some times that may come in the form of death(Read 1 Corinthians 11:30) depending on the severity and longevity of the sinful actions, in Galatians 6:7 the Bible says “we will reap what we sow”
1 John 1:9 is NOT written about believers getting unbelievers saved, BECAUSE a person DOES NOT CONFESS to be saved, a person ONLY has to BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ by TRUSTING him alone as savior as the complete payment of their sins and that is the ONLY thing a unsaved person can do – Acts 16:31, John 3:16
1 John 1:9 is ALL about RESTORATION OF FELLOWSHIP with the Lord by admittance and confession of known sins, we are sinners saved by God’s UNDESERVED grace – Ephesians 2:8,9.
God wants us to be honest with him BECAUSE he wants to bless us here on earth earth and give rewards to us in heaven, but if we live in diobedience and refuse to confess any sins we commit, even though we are STILL SAVED, God only has one option and that is to WITH-HOLD any rewards or blessings that he would have given us – 1 Corinthians 3:11-15.
The MOST IMPORTANT thing to know IS Jesus Christ as savior, just simply believe that Jesus Christ went to the cross and DIED and shed his blood, was BURIED and three days later RESURRECTED from the dead to pay for your sins.
A. Christ DIED for you – Romans 5:8
B. Christ PAID your sins in full – 2 Corinthians 5:21,1 Peter 2:24
C. BELIEVE (Trust In Completely) in Christ ALONE as the complete payment of sin for salvation – John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Ephesians 2:8,9
“For the wages(payment) of sin is death (eternal torment in hell & the lake of fire); but the GIFT of God is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord”. Romans 6:23
IT IS THAT SIMPLE – THE GOSPEL TRUTH