By: Robert Serreyn
Question? Was the Wine at the last supper alcoholic?
In our MODERN DAY society when they see the word wine they assume that it is alcoholic, but this is NOT the case in Bible Times.
The Greek Word for wine as its context warrents is “OINOS” it is the SWEET UNFERMENTED, NON – ALCOHOLIC FRESH JUICE that was used.
The Greek word OINOS is a generic term and it refers to both intoxicating and non intoxicating wine the context of the verse warrants the definition.
This unfermented fresh juice was HIGHLY PRIZED and COVETED for its sweetness.
In 1 Timothy 3:3 Pastors are NOT to drink.
Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous.
Likewise in V8 the Deacons are also admonished to refrain from drinking also.
(8) Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre.
In Acts Chapter Two we have the recorded events of the PURPOSE and REASON for the speaking of tongues that was bestowed upon the Apostles and the others on the Day of Pentecost.
The VERY Purpose and Reason was for the PREACHING of the GOSPEL to every person that was there regardless of their language.
(Acts 2:6-8) Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. (7) And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? (8) And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
These men were REALLY AMAZED at the fact that these Galilaeans could and were speaking in their native language, In Verse 13 some even MOCKED the Apostles and the others who were speaking their language through tongues by the POWER of the Holy Spirit as BEING DRUNK.
(Acts 2:13) Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
The Greek Word for FULL is MESTOO and it means INTOXICATED.
The Greek Word for NEW WINE is GLEUKOS and means SWEET UNFERMENTED, FRESH JUICE
One IMPORTANT thing a person MUIST REMEMBER is that Jesus NEVER CONDONED drunkeness and he diffently WOULD NOT have used alcoholic fermented wine to represent his blood.
In order for something to ferment, it has to be ARTIFICIALLY INDUCED by man for the process to work. God NEVER made anything in nature that ferments it just rots and decays.
Lets EXAMINE what Jesus has to say about alcohol…
– (Leviticus 10:9) Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations.
– (Proverbs 20:1) Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
– (Habakkuk 2:15) Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness.
– (Proverbs 23:31-35) Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. (32) At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. (33) Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. (34) Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. (35) They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.
It is pretty clear that the Lord Jesus DID NOT speak favorably of alcohol.
Fact being that Jesus was a Priest (rabbi) he WAS NOT even allowed to drink alcohol UNDER THE PENELTY OF DEATH according to Leviticus 10:9 if he did.
(John 3:2) The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
(Hebrews 9:11) But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building.
The Wine that was served at the last supper was the SWEET UNFERMENTED, NON – ALCOHOLIC FRESH JUICE, The “OINOS”, The “GLEUKOS” not the fermented alcoholic wine as our modern day society and churches (Roman Catholic and others) use to MIS – REPRESENT our Lord’s shed blood on the cross for our sins.
The MOST IMPORTANT thing to know IS Jesus Christ as savior, just simply believe that Jesus Christ went to the cross and DIED and shed his blood, was BURIED and three days later RESURRECTED from the dead to pay for your sins.
-Christ DIED for you – Romans 5:8
-Christ PAID your sins in full – 2 Corinthians 5:21,1 Peter 2:24
-BELIEVE (Trust In Completely) in Christ ALONE as the complete payment of sin for salvation – John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Ephesians 2:8,9
“For the wages(payment) of sin is death (eternal torment in hell); but the GIFT(salvation) of God is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord”. Romans 6:23
IT IS THAT SIMPLE – THE GOSPEL TRUTH