By: Robert Serreyn
Question? I think I understand 1 Peter 1:2, But could you dissect it for I am having little trouble with it?
1 Peter 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
In V1 the Apostle Peter is addressing all the christians (strangers) that are living in the following mentioned areas such as Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia.
In V2 Peter STATES that all these ARE BELIEVERS, the word ELECT means THOSE WHO HAVE BELIEVED not those who are chosen as Predestinationist teach.
– FOREKNOWLEDGE OF GOD: simply means that God KNOWS Who has and Who has not Placed their trust in Christ and his payment alone for their sins – God KNOWS ALL.
– Through Sanctification of the Spirit: Sanctification in the Greek is HAGIASMOS and it means to be “SET APART” (from the unsaved as believers) and made “PURE AND HOLY” (through the Righteousness of Christ blood) – 2 Corinthians 5:21.
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
The Spirit is the Holy Spirit in which EVERY BELIEVER is sealed with upon Belief in the Death, Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ – Ephesians 1:13.
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise.
– UNTO OBEDIENCE: this is referring to the Lord Jesus OBEDIENCE to the Will of God the Father to be the Payment for the Sins of EVERY Man, Woman, and Child that has ever lived.
Luke 22:42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
– SPRINKLING OF THE BLOOD: Referring to the Old Testament WHICH POINTED to the time WHEN Christ would Shed his Blood on the cross as payment for sin.
Hebrews 9:19-22 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people, (20) Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you. (21) Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry. (22) And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
– GRACE UNTO YOU: Grace means UNDESERVED FAVOR, Grace is God giving The Gift of Eternal Life (which no one deserves) to anyone who simply believes. MERCY is something withheld which is Eternal Torment in Hell, All deserve hell not heaven.
– PEACE: At the moment of Belief in the Death, Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ as the payment for our sins WE GAIN “Peace with God” for we are NO LONGER seen as a Child of the Devil BUT as the Child of God – POSITIONALLY VIEWED from a sinner to a saint.
Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.
The MOST IMPORTANT thing to know IS Jesus Christ as savior, just simply believe that Jesus Christ went to the cross and DIED and shed his blood, was BURIED and three days later RESURRECTED from the dead to pay for your sins.
The moment that you do YOU HAVE (at that second and forever) Everlasting Life which WILL NEVER be taken away no matter what.
-Christ DIED for you – Romans 5:8
-Christ PAID your sins in full – 2 Corinthians 5:21,1 Peter 2:24
-BELIEVE (Trust In Completely) in Christ ALONE as the complete payment of sin for salvation – John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Ephesians 2:8,9
“For the wages(payment) of sin is death (eternal torment in hell); but the GIFT(salvation) of God is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord”. Romans 6:23
IT IS THAT SIMPLE – THE GOSPEL TRUTH